As a business owner, I understand firsthand the challenges that come with working with a team. Despite our best efforts, miscommunication and missed information can lead to lost time and productivity. In today's fast-paced business world, effective communication is key to success. But with the constant interruption of notifications from text messages, emails, and social media, staying aligned can be difficult. These distractions make it easy for important details to slip through the cracks.
As my company grew, I realised that we needed to improve our communication policies and processes. This was to ensure that everyone was working towards the same goals. In this blog post, I'll share the steps we took to improve our communication and increase productivity within our team.
Unlocking Success Through Effective Communication
One of the main things we have done is create a standardised central place for task delegation. This helps us keep communication organised and reduces the chance of important information being overlooked. We use an online task management tool like Asana to delegate tasks, from repetitive to one-off projects. We also have a staff policy in place requiring all task-related communications to be in the task manager's comment section. This ensures that all task-related information is in one place. Doing this avoids confusion from multiple messaging apps and improves overall task organisation and communication.
There are numerous advantages to this centralised approach. It avoids long searches through multiple messaging apps for data regarding the task. It also provides future access to a comprehensive audit trail regarding the task for problem-solving. Centralizing all task-related communication ensures that all team members have access to the same information and can work towards the same goals.
Utilising Instant Messaging Apps
We also use instant messaging apps to further simplify effective communication within our company. Through this, we inform our staff that a new comment has been added or an update has been made on the task. We do this by getting the task link and sending it through an instant messaging app. This way, team members can stay updated on the task without having to constantly check their task manager.
Another way we simplify effective communication is by using a business communication app like Slack. Slack is an organised space for people to discuss work without distraction or disruption. It allows for easy cross-departmental communication regarding a project. It also has comprehensive integration with other apps and software to centralise tasks and discussions. Using a dedicated business app removes the distractions of social media and personal emails. This allows for more effective communication between team members.
I have recorded a Podcast on this called “Transform Your Company's Internal Communication and Collaboration”.
We have summarised the main points we implement for effective communication within our company:
- Create a standardised, central place for delegating tasks.
- Establish a staff policy for task-related communication within the centralised task management system.
- Utilise instant messaging apps to inform team members of updates and new comments on tasks.
- Implement a business communication app to allow for easy cross-departmental communication and collaboration.
- Encourage team members to use the centralised task management system and business communication app for all work-related communication.
- Prioritise face-to-face or video communication for important or complex discussions.
- Encourage open and transparent communication throughout the organisation.
- Provide training and resources for team members to improve communication skills.
- Regularly review and evaluate the effectiveness of internal communication processes.
- Foster a culture of open communication and actively encourage feedback.
Effective communication within a company is critical for success. By implementing these methods, we have simplified our communication processes. It also ensured that all team members were on the same page. We have avoided missed information, reduced confusion, and increased productivity. We continue to prioritise effective communication and are always looking for ways to improve our processes.